Friday, September 5, 2014

Competitive Analysis

“Learning about your client's business (general industry or sector and particular business, product, service, or organization) is paramount” (Advertising By Design, 16). While I was doing research on the Mustang I discovered that the Ford Mustang’s main competitors are all sports cars. These include the Dodge Challenger R/T, Dodge Charger R/T, Chevrolet Camaro SS, Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited, Audi S4, and the Audi S5 Premium Plus. All these cars compete with one another due to their power and sporty look. “The morphological method is based on analysis and synthesis (see diagram 3-1). You analyze a problem by defining all its important factors, as well as the immediately apparent options for solutions. Then you synthesize, that is, combine the factors and options to produce a matrix containing possible solutions” (Advertising By Design, 33). I looked at the ads for a lot of the sports cars and made a chart showing the similarities and differences between their ads and I noticed that they always show an image of the car either on the road or with a person standing by it. I also noticed that they compare themselves to one another. They perform drives and tests and see who wins but the results are not very reliable. Some of the differences I found are the size of the car and the engine. I noticed that the engines are always really important in these cars. People want to have the best engine possible. Overall, I came up with a strategy for my ad by using what other car ads don't use. “From the strategy, you conceive a premise, a central theme, that forms the basis of your claim. The premise should be based on an insight into the brand, the product (or service or group), and the audience” (Advertising By Design, 193). I decided to not show the car at all but rather show the Mustang horse and the Ford logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment